Child Car Restraints
The correct child car restraint should offer the optimum protection for your child if you are involved in a crash. Use this information to make sure your child car restraint is correctly fitted and that your vehicle has properly installed child car restraint anchorage points.
Choose the right restraint
The minimum age requirements for child car restraints are:
Birth - 6 months
• Rearward facing restraint - capsule or rearward facing convertible restraint
6 months - 4 years
• Rearward facing restraint, or
• Forward facing restraint with a five-point internal harness - forward facing convertible restraint with a five point internal harness, or a combination restraint used with a five point internal harness.
4 - 7 years
• Forward facing restraint with a five-point internal harness, or
• Booster seat with a lap sash seat belt or h-harness, or
• Combination restraint used in a booster seat mode.
The Australian Standard for Child Car Restraints AS/NZS 1754:2010 and 2013.
For the safety of your child, use restraints that are:
• appropriate for your child's size and height
• not old, worn restraints over 10 years old (or that have previously been in a crash)
• correctly installed in cars.
Correctly fit your child car restraint
The public can access a list of Type 1 Child Car Restraint Fitters around the state through their local WALGA RoadWise Committee.
The Department of Transport has a list of Type 2 Child Restraint Fitting Stations where anchor points can be safely installed and approved in vehicles.
In Western Australia, parents and carers of any child who requires a child car restraint must comply with AS/NZS 1754.
Those who cannot comply with AS/NZS 1754 must apply to the Department of Transport for approval to use AS/NZS 4370, which is the standard of restraints for children with a disability.
Inquiries about child restraint exemptions for children with a disability should be directed to:
Vehicle Safety and Standards
Department of Transport
21 Murray Road South WELSHPOOL 6106
Tel: (08) 9216 3891
Tel: (08) 9216 3891