Children In On-Demand Transport
years or younger children are recommended to be supervised by adults while riding bicycles.
children are killed or seriously injured each year when the vehicle they are travelling in is involved in crash.
year old or younger child can be held on lap of a person aged 16 or more.
Taxi drivers must ensure that children aged between one and seven are restrained in standard adults seatbelts if:
• there is no suitable approved child seat available in the taxi for the passenger; and
• the child passenger is not in the front row of seats where the taxi has two or more rows of seats.
Any adult seatbelts used for children aged one to seven must be:
• properly adjusted; and
• securely fastened to the best extent possible given the height and weight of the passengers.
Taxis have always had an exemption to the requirement to use a child car restraint, but taxi drivers have a responsibility for ensuring passengers aged between one and seven are restrained as safely as possible.
Children aged under one can be held on a lap of a person aged 16 or over, or restrained in a seat, according to the judgment of their caregiver. The safest seating is in a child car seat.
Notwithstanding these exemptions, the Road Safety Commission strongly recommends ensuring a child car seat is available when the taxi is booked.
Bus drivers are not required to ensure that passengers aged under 16 years are restrained. Under the Road Traffic Code 2000, a bus is defined as a motor vehicle, built mainly to carry people, which seats over 11 adults (including the driver).
Nonetheless, it is recommended that seatbelts are used when available and are properly adjusted and fitted to the best extent possible.
If the vehicle involved is designed to carry 11 adults or less (including the driver) it is not classed as a bus and the driver is required to ensure that all passengers are appropriately restrained.
The driver is responsible for ensuring passengers aged one to seven are:
- restrained with standard seatbelts that are properly adjusted; and
- securely fastened to the best extent possible given the height and weight of the passengers.