A well-maintained bicycle is more reliable and safer to ride. Follow these tips to keep your bicycle roadworthy.
Basic bike maintenance:
- Carry a basic toolkit and puncture repair kit, that contains specially made compact bicycle tools with Allen keys and screwdriver heads.
- Check your tyres weekly for splitting and wear, and ensure the tyre pressure is between the minimum and maximum pressure recommended on the side of each tyre.
- Check monthly that your brakes work and that the cables are not fraying. Brake pads need to touch the wheels’ metal rim, but not the tyre.
- Check your wheel spokes are not loose and that the rims are straight.
- Clean and lubricate to your bike components, in particular the chain, to ensure it runs smoothly. But avoid the wheel rims.
- Keep your bike out of the rain to avoid rust.
- Make sure your front and back lights are working and are bright enough, before riding at night.